Monday, October 10, 2016

Meet the TRIO Tutors!!!








 

My name is Jenna Hoehn Shake.

I was born in Canada. I'm a senior majoring in special education.

I love to read, mostly fiction. I love to take some time out of my day and jump into another world.

I have always wanted to be a special education teacher. I love helping students learn. In the distant future, I would like to become a professor so that I can help inspire a new generation of teachers to go into the field.

The subjects I tutor at TRIO are:

--Study Skills & Organization
--Active Reading/Reading Comprehension Strategies
--Essay Writing Process &Writing Skills

I love helping others learn, and seeing the light in their eyes when they suddenly get it.

 My advice to TRIO students:

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." --Malcolm X





 

Hello. My name is Sandro Carmona.

I am senior pursuing a degree in mathematics and secondary education.

My dream is to become a high school math teacher.

I enjoy playing strategy games, such as chess and dominoes.

The subjects I tutor at TRIO include:

--ACT Math and TAP Math
--Developmental Algebra
--College Algebra
--Calculus.

I am excited to tutor at TRIO because it gives me the opportunity to help others achieve their goals and to facilitate math workshops.

TRIO helps me develop valuable skills that are essential in the workplace. Skills that I have learned at TRIO include teaching, mentoring, communication, critical thinking, leadership, and personal development.

I believe that all students can become successful in mathematics. The best way to achieve mathematical confidence is to ask questions and practice many examples.




 


My name is Shevy Castle.

I enjoy sketching, painting, knitting, crocheting, needle point, and recreational physical activities, which includes running and cycling, and listening to music

I'm a certified personal trainer working on getting a Masters in exercise science. My goal is to use my Masters to deepen my knowledge about fitness and health so I can best educate people on how to maintain a healthy, fit lifestyle.

Currently I'm a graduate student working on a Masters in Exercise Science.

The subjects I tutor are:

 
--Developmental Algebra (Math 090-092)
--College Algebra (Math 173)
--Biology
--Study Skills & Organization

I've been tutoring fellow classmates back in high school through college. Students kept coming back to me, and even referred friends to work with me. I decided that I should get paid to tutor, so working at TRIO provided me that opportunity.

Most people don't know I'm a jack of many trades.

(This is a message for students with disabilities): Don't let your disability hinder your abilities. I have a disability, too, and if I can do it, there is no doubt in my mind that you can do it, too!





 

My name is Suhair Ahmedsalim.

I enjoy cooking and teaching my youngest son the Arabic language using various techniques, like playing games of Arabic grammar.

My career goals are to get an accountant job and to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam. I'm currently working on a Master of Science in Accounting.

The subjects I tutor include:

--Developmental Algebra (Math 090-092)
--College Algebra (Math 173)
--Statistics
--Calculus
--Accounting 
I'm interested in tutoring/mentoring for TRIO because I love to learn, to help other students learn, and to exchange knowledge.
I'm hardworking, patient, honest, and determined.

My advice to TRIO students: follow the triangle of success--hardwork, honesty and patience-- that I've learned.

I have the following openings on my TRIO tutoring schedule:

Mon, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm
Thur, 9:00 to 10:00 am
Thur, 1:00 to 3:00 pm







 


My name is Christopher Hernandez Martinez

I'm a senior majoring in sociology.

When I have money I love to collect cheap CDs from Half-Price Books; I have over 200 albums at the moment. I also enjoy going out for a drive whenever I can, especially when the weather is nice!

My careers goals involve me putting my current skills to use. I would love to be able to do counseling later on in my life, but I would first need to get a degree related to it before I start. That's my plan.

The subjects I tutor include:

--Essay Writing Process &Writing Skills
--Active Reading/Reading Comprehension Strategies
--Study Skills & Organization
--Social Sciences
--Computer Skills

TRIO tutoring/mentoring interested me because I wanted to challenge myself to help as many people as I could this semester. It allows me to meet new people and improve my ability to help different types of students.

I'm probably one of the few people I know that drives a manual transmission car and doesn't mind doing so in city traffic. Odd but true.

I strongly believe that anyone with even the smallest bit of interest in education has the potential to become an amazing student. One's learning potential is always there, everyone has it, we just need to find and use the right tools to uncover it. 


I have the following openings on my TRIO tutoring schedule:

Mon, 11:30 am to 12:00 pm
Wed, 4:30 to 5:00 pm
Fri, 1:00 to 3:30 pm







 

My name is Joshua Friedberg.

My hobbies include community radio, writing, blogging, and music.

My career goals include doing creative work in some capacity--writing, singing, playing music

I recently obtained my graduate degree in English.

At TRIO I tutor the following subjects:

--Essay Writing Process &Writing Skills
--Active Reading/Reading Comprehension Strategies
--Study Skills & Organization

I have greatly enjoyed helping students with different challenges meet their potential, especially in writing. Writing is a skill that I struggled with when I got to college, and today I have published articles, so I've gained a lot of confidence that I try to pass it on to my students.

I know a lot of dates. I think I can name a musical event for every year going back from 2016 to 1920.
My advice to students:
Don't give up--there is always work to be done to become a better writer. Nobody's perfect, but you can always practice to become better.





 

My name is Ayuk Nfundoak.

I'm a graduate student majoring in political science.

I enjoy soccer, political debates, and watching the NFL. 

My career goal is to become a college professor.

The subjects I tutor at TRIO include:

--Essay Writing Process &Writing Skills
--Active Reading/Reading Comprehension Strategies
--Study Skills & Organization
--Social Sciences  

I like tutoring because I believe it fosters my understanding of what it means or takes to become a college professor.
Most people don't know I speak several languages and have lived on three continents.
My advice to TRIO students: You can do it if you believe it.

This semester, I'm available on Fridays if you need help.




















No comments:

Post a Comment