Monday, June 26, 2023

TRIO SSS Welcomes New Peer Mentor


Hello, TRIO SSS staff and students!

My name is Lena (they/them/theirs), and I am the new peer mentor for TRIO SSS. I have a long history of working in educational settings, such as in-house tutoring in District 65, as a program facilitator in District 65, and as a before- and after-school counselor in District 34. What I liked most about those positions was being able to help and support others, and I’m excited to be able to continue doing just that here at NEIU!


I’m looking forward to becoming a part of the NEIU community as I am a recent transfer to the school. I’m a senior, and I’m working towards getting my B.A. in English. Reading and writing have been passions of mine since before I was old enough to read or write. I love telling people that my very first “story” consisted of me filling up a notebook with scribbles and presenting it to my Mom as though I had just completed the next great American novel! If you don’t see me at the front desk, you might catch me elsewhere in the library with my nose in a book. 


In my free time, I also enjoy arts and crafts, especially embroidery and crochet. I’m also a big fan of Old Hollywood movies, playing board games, and spending time with my fur babies (a puppy and a bunny). I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone who works for or with TRIO this summer and beyond, so if you have any favorite books, movies, or games, please feel free to stop by and tell me about them!


Sincerely,


Lena

No comments:

Post a Comment